Please post a picture of your mixtape on Instagram with hashtag #mixtapeweek!
Mixtapes are time capsules that communicate a multitude of emotions: Love, despair, joy. They are the soundtracks to important moments in our lives and a way to share those moments, along with the bands and artists you love. Since the advent of digital technology, tapes have given way to CDs, CDs have given way to playlists, all of which share human curation and visual representation in a meaningful manner--and that's something to celebrate. At KEXP we create new mixes every day. We've shown you ours, now show us yours.
The best submission will win a flyaway to Seattle to share your mix live on KEXP on August 30th. See the full contest rules below.
1. Public Enemy, Welcome to the Terrordome
2. Timezone, World Destruction
3. Fishbone, Party at Ground Zero
4. New Order, Blue Monday
5. Ministry, Over The Shoulder
6. NIN, Head Like A Hole
7. N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton
8. Siouxsie/Banshees, Cities In Dust
9. The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, Television
10. Ice Cube, It Was A Good Day
1. Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah
2. Digable Planets, Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)
3. Ofra Haza: Im Nin-alu
4. Soul II Soul, Back To Life
5. Portishead, Sour Times
6. Billie Holiday, God Bless the Child
7. Sade, Smooth Operator
8. Al Green, Tired of Being Alone
9. Sinead O’Connor, Nothing Compares 2 U
10. Mazzy Star, Fade Into You
Kevin's Mixtape Story: The year is 1994 and I’m creating the playlist for the end of the world! Side one is the Post Apocalyptic party mix, an edgy, agitated mix of hard hitting industrial dance music and hip-hop. Welcome to the Terrordome! Let’s party like its 1999! Side two is the morning after—the come down, with some chill vibes, downtempo trip-hip (a new genre in 1994 introduced in part by the groundbreaking Portishead release), and a realization that as dark as the night was before, there’s hopeful optimism for the future as conveyed by Digable Planets, a little Sade, and Soul II Soul. Back to life, back to reality as I fade into you!
Fill out all fields below as completely as possible. We are asking only for digital submissions, please do not send us any physical items. Best submission will win a flyaway to Seattle to share your mix live on KEXP on August 30th. Runners up will receive a poster of their mix’s art. See full contest rules below and have fun!
Please note, anyone may submit a mixtape using the form above, and these Rules apply only to the contest for the grand prize and runner-up prize.
1. Any resident of the continental U.S., age 18 or older, is eligible to enter. KEXP employees and their immediate families are not eligible.
2. Any eligible person may enter by delivering a mixtape to KEXP. Mixtapes must be received by KEXP between 9:00 am July 10th, 2019 and 6:00 pm August 2th, 2019. KEXP is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, illegible, undelivered, delayed or misdirected submissions. No purchase is necessary.
3. Submissions may take the form of cassette tapes, CDs or digital playlists. Regrettably, KEXP cannot return any submissions.
4. The submissions will be judged by a panel of KEXP DJs, who will analyze each submission for curatorial excellence, including creativity, quality of the songs and performances, and song sequencing.
5. Each entrant is responsible for complying with applicable copyright laws.
6. Two prizes will be awarded. The grand prize consists of continental U.S. roundtrip coach airfare, two nights of hotel, a poster of mix art created by KEXP, and an appearance on-air at KEXP on August 30th, 2019 (but not meals or other expenses, or taxes). KEXP shall coordinate with the grand prize winner to arrange air travel and hotel, but shall make final determinations regarding travel arrangements, including dates. The runner-up prize consists of a poster of mix art created by KEXP. The grand prize is worth approximately $600 to $1200, and the runner up prize is worth approximately $50. Grand prize winner will be notified on August 5th, 2019.
7. KEXP reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify or terminate this contest in the event of any act, occurrence or reason that it believes would corrupt the integrity, administration or fairness of the contest.
8. By participating in the contest, participants agree to release and hold harmless KEXP, and its affiliates and employees, from any liability, claim, loss or damage arising out of or relating to their participation in this contest, or the acceptance, use or misuse of any prize received in this contest.